New Academy Charter School
We Are THANKFUL
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, we start to get in a festive mood and begin to think about all that we are grateful for. We love this time of year because it puts us all in the mindset of giving thanks, and expressing our appreciation for each other. It allows us to view our world through a lens of gratitude; which has lasting effects as we approach the holiday season and the new year ahead.
Giving thanks is particularly important for us at New Academy Charter School, as we have been exploring with our community the different ways gratitude can be expressed – through kindness, philanthropy, collaboration, self-reflection, and meaningful connection. We would like to thank all of our partners, parents, students, and staff. A special shout out goes to…
- The Education Partnership for making our classrooms more engaging by providing our teachers with much needed school supplies over the past five years. We look forward to many more shopping trips!
- BNY Mellon, Crew Missions,
University of Pittsburgh South Asia Student Association, American Eagle,
Dick’s Sporting Goods, InventHelp, and Pittsburgh Cares for volunteering your time to clean, paint, plant, and decorate at our new building.
- Horses with Hope, World Vision, The Hilltop Urban Farm, Intersection Soup Kitchen, Good Samaritan Food Pantry, Toys for Tots, Crew Missions, The Education Partnership, Children’s Hospital, Wesley Family Services, Sonshine Kitchens, Gwen’s Girls, and Rainbow Soup Kitchen for engaging our students in meaningful service opportunities.
- Grow Pittsburgh for granting us with a beautiful Learning Garden so our teachers can take learning to the outdoors.
- Allegheny Intermediate Unit for working with us to improve the climate of our school.
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Urban Education for lending us your experience and expertise so that we can ensure that our curriculum is more culturally relevant.
- The Stand Together program for believing in our students and providing them with a mini-grant to initiate the start of our Peace Room.
- Probation Officers for supporting and guiding our students and their families.
- Pittsburgh Police for our new partnership and their participation at our school events.
- Parents and guardians of our students for being partners in their child’s education. We understand the importance of finding a the best school for your child, and we appreciate you entrusting us to meet their educational needs and support their development.
- Students for keeping us busy, on our toes, entertained, and making all of our hard work worth it.
- Staff for
all of their hard work, striving for increased academic ability, lesson
planning, data collection, modeling positive and professional behavior,
counseling, engaging, driving, guiding, and caring for and about our
students. These dedicated people wear many hats, are busy shaping the
goals and dreams of our future generations, and they deserve all the
honor and accolades we can heap upon them.
- Administrators for managing all of the behind the scenes work, the fiscal and physical resources so teachers and support staff can stay focused on their primary goals, touching and empowering future generations of learners.
We hope that your Thanksgiving is filled with joy, energy, and optimism!
Wishing you a restful and joyful holiday,
~the New Academy Charter School Team
School Goal: ATTENDANCE
New Academy Charter School’s October attendance goal was set at 62%. We are proud to say that we greatly surpassed that goal and our students achieved a 69% attendance rate for the month! Way to go students! We have exceeded our attendance goal every month so far this school year!
There were TWELVE perfect attenders for the month of October. These students did not have a single unexcused absence! What an accomplishment, students! Keep up the hard work!!
Quarter 1 Honor Roll Award Winners
Staff and Students of the Month
Meet our Staff of the Month
Each month, New Academy Charter School administration choose a staff member that goes above and beyond their day-to-day job responsibilities.
Extra Effort Award Winners
Other staff members are also chosen to win an Extra Effort Award. These staff members are
Students of the Month
Teachers and staff voted for the following students to be our October Students of the Month!!!
M. Owens (12th grade)
Abshir H. (11th grade)
Amir P. (10th grade)
D. Hawk (9th grades)
Jacob F. (8th grade)
Mrs. Herriott’s Chemistry Class
Mrs. Herriott continually tries to make her lessons as hands on as possible. For this lesson in particular, the students made bath bombs to learn about chemical reactions.
Ms. Jardini’s United States History 1 Class
In Ms. Jardini’s US History 1 class, she challenges ALL students to work together and grow! During class, one student; Da’Montae L. presented a lesson to his classmates using a Promethean Board. His classmates then had to determine if he included all of the necessary information. Not only are her students being fully engaged in the subject area, but they are also expanding their leadership skills too!
Hello Parents! We would like to invite you to become a member of the Parent/Teachers Organization (PTO) for the 2018-19 school year. We feel the Teachers, Staff and Parents should be united in helping to ensure all our students are successful! Parents, you have the opportunity to contribute to the enrichment of your student’s academic success through the PTO at New Academy School.
Why Join PTO:
- Connect with other parents
- Be the first to hear about important news and upcoming events at school
- Have a voice
- Learn how the students and teachers of NACS benefit from the work of the PTO
- Volunteer your time, at school or at home, to make a difference in our school community
Please watch the mail for our first scheduled PTO meeting date and time. If you are interested in joining our PTO please contact Holly Turkovic @ email@example.com.
Next Month at New Academy Charter School
Internet Essentials by Comcast
Affordable internet for our students! If you are a student of New Academy Charter School then your household qualifies for Internet Essentials by Comcast for only $9.95 a month plus tax! Please click this link to apply: https://www.internetessentials.com/apply
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (DHS) is accepting applications for this season’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). The program helps low income families pay their heating bills. You can apply and check the status of your application on the state’s COMPASS website (www.compass.state.pa.us). You can also download one from the DHS LIHEAP website. Completed paper applications should be returned to the Allegheny County Assistance Office, located at 5947 Penn Avenue, 4th Floor, Pittsburgh, PA, 15206. Funding for LIHEAP is provided by the federal government and eligibility is based on the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.