September 2018 Newsletter – New Academy Charter School
Welcome to a new year at New Academy Charter School! We have great things happening this school year so please join us on this journey!
NEW THIS YEAR
FACES IN THE CROWD
Meet some of our key players. These faculty members play an essential role in your student’s high school career. Please feel free to reach out at any time.
Over the Summer
During 2018 summer school session, our students had the opportunity to earn 2 credits each during the 8 week program. We awarded 116 credits to 94 students across all academic areas.
Students also had the opportunity to earn community service hours and we awarded over 477 hours! Projects consisted of making goods such as environmental items and toiletry kits that were distributed to local nonprofit organizations including food pantries and parks.
Next Month at New Academy Charter School
- Professional Learning Community’s (PLC) are scheduled for every other Wednesday. Faculty discuss individual and school-wide academic achievement data as well as current trends in education. Student start time is 10:30am.
- There will be No School for students on Open House – Please see attached Flyer
- Students will wear their uniforms for Picture Day
- Quarter 2 begins on October 26th. All outstanding assignments should be turned in to teachers by October 24th.
Garden Kick Off!
When: Tuesday, October 2nd 10am-2pm
Details: New Academy Charter School is partnering with Grow Pittsburgh and Big Green (formerly The Kitchen Community) to bring a Learning Garden to our school. The garden will be an ADA accessible outdoor classroom built to fit organically into any school dynamics. This two year partnership with Grow Pittsburgh’s Garden Educator will support teachers’ use of the Learning Garden as a teaching tool, and to help us build the groundwork for a thriving garden in the years to come.
Friday, Oct. 12th, 12-6pm
2500 Jonquil Way
Come One, Call All! This event is not limited to current families.
- Tour our school, courtyard, and garden
- Talk with teachers about curriculum
- Check your student’s grades, attendance, and credit count